Prakrit Summer School in Finland

Petteri Koskikallio petteri.koskikallio at HELSINKI.FI
Sat May 12 14:33:46 UTC 2007

Dear All,

It is our pleasant duty to announce a new summer school in Prakrit
studies to be especially focused on post-canonical Jain material. The
two-week introductory course in Jaina-Maharastri is designed for the
Sanskrit students who would like to get acquainted with the treasury of
Jain narrative/epic texts. No previous studies on Prakrit are necessary,
but a good knowledge of Sanskrit is a prerequisite. The teaching
language will be English.

The summer school will take place in a peaceful countryside milieu in
Rantasalmi, eastern Finland from July 23 to August 4, 2007. The
participants will be introduced to the field of Prakrit in general and
Jaina-Maharastri in particular. For reading practice we will take short
episodes from the texts like Vasudevahindi, Paumacariyam, etc.

The original idea of the summer school sprang from a few inspired
discussions in Edinburgh WSC last summer. As the funding of the project
was secured only a few weeks ago, the plan could be made public only
rather near the event itself. Yet, we hope to get together about a dozen
participants. We sincerely feel that a special topic combined with a
special milieu and an informal spirit will create a unique experience.

Further details are available on the website:
http://www.indologie.uni-wuerzburg.de/prakrit_summer_school/
<http://www.indologie.uni-wuerzburg.de/prakrit_summer_school/>

Please inform any students who may be interested in participating.

With best wishes,

Eva De Clercq
Anna Aurelia Esposito
Petteri Koskikallio