Essential Reading on Nazi-time European Indology (I)

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 7 09:40:31 UTC 2007

Thanks for the important addition.
  JH

Antonio Ferreira-Jardim <antonio.jardim at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
  Dear Professor Houben,

Just a quick note.

The fate of Moritz Spitzer in post-WW2 Israel has been partially
recounted by Eli Franco in his Introduction to Volume 1 of "The
Spitzer Manuscript - The Oldest Philosophical Manuscript in Sanskrit".
Beiträge zur Kultur- und Geistesgeschichte Asiens 43. Österreichischen
Akademie der Wissenschaften, philosophisch-historische Klasse, Wien
(2004).

Kind regards,

Antonio Ferreira-Jardim
UQ

On 5/6/07, Jan E.M. Houben wrote:
> Essential Reading on Nazi-time European Indology

... "Apart from the Indologists victimized by the "aryan paragraphs"
whether as Jews themselves or because they were married to Jews
(including Betty Heimann [emigrated], Walter Neisser [suicide, 1941],
Walter Ruben [emigrated], Isidore Scheftelowitz [emigrated], Richard
Simon, [died 1934], Moritz Spitzer [fate unknown], Otto Stein [died in
Lodz Ghetto, 1942], Otto Strauss [died in flight in Holland, 1940],
Heinrich Zimmer [emigrated]), none publicly opposed the regime, or
left the country."