early critical editions of Sanskrit texts

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Sat May 5 18:06:55 UTC 2007

On Sat, 5 May 2007 12:24:00 -0400
  Rosane Rocher <rrocher at SAS.UPENN.EDU> wrote:

> I am trying to compile a (likely very short) list of
>critical editions of Sanskrit texts prior to 1808. By
>"critical," I don't mean editions that necessarily
>feature a /stemma codicum/, just editions that record
>variant readings. I would be grateful for any entry you
>may be able to suggest.

I guess, most of the relevant published works are listed
in Gildemeister's bibliography. On page 173 seqq. he gives
an "index librorum in India editorum" sorted according to
the publishing date. He lists 17 or 18 works (editions,
translations, grammars) that were published between 1789
and 1808. For European books one has to go through the
"Bibliothecae Sanscritae ... specimen", however, to find
the particular instances - very few, of course, before the
1820ies (e.g. Paulinus a Sancto Bartholomaeo's edition and
translation of the Amarakosha).

Friedrich Adelung in his "Versuch einer Literatur der
Sanskrit-Sprache" (1st ed. 1830) points sometimes to rare
to find secondary works (at least nowadays rare to find).
But I don't believe that this will add much to
Gildemeister's bibliography.

On the other hand some early works (of missionaries like
Heinrich Roth or later Company people) remained
unpublished during their lifetimes or came out only
posthumously (like those of Demetrios Galanos).

Hope it helps a bit
Peter Wyzlic

--
Indologisches Seminar der