Harivamsha electronic

Peter Schreiner pesch at INDOGER.UNIZH.CH
Fri May 4 14:14:43 UTC 2007

Dear indologists

Following up an initiative started at the second Dubrovnik International
Conference on the Sanskrit Epics and Puranas (DICSEP) in 1999 an
international group of scholars cooperated to create an electronic
version of the Critical Edition of the Harivamsha, including
star-passages and appendixes. We are very grateful to the authorities of
the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute to have granted permission to
produce this electronic transliteration! And we herewith gratefully
aknowledge this permission.

Dr. Dhadphale had written in a letter dated June 19, 2000:
"I am happy to let you know that members of the Executive Board of the
Institute under their Resolution No. 5/19.05.2000 have authorised me to
communicate to you that they have pleasure to allow to you to make use
of the Critical Edition of the Harivamsa published by the Institute as a
basis for the electronic transliteration of the text on the condition
that the transliterated electronic text of the Harivamsa is used
exclusively for research oriented purposes and without any sort of
commercial interest [...] and further that the permission given by the
authorities of the Inst. is gratefully acknowledged prominently at the
beginning of the transliterated text."

In September 2005 the authorities of BORI were informed that the task
was completed and a CD with the files was submitted. For reasons
unknown, BORI has not yet  taken any initiative to realise the intended
purpose of our work, i.e., the use for research oriented purposes.
Encouraged by various demands for the text we have decided to put it on
the homepage of the Department of Indology, University of Zürich
("www.indologie.unizh.ch"), until another solution can be found. Let it
be repeated that utilization of this transliteration is exclusively for
research oriented purposes and without any sort of commercial interest.
Kindly note that the copyright continues to lie with the BORI.

With many thanks to all those involved and to the academic community for
the support!

Peter Schreiner

--

Abteilung für Indologie