"vyasa smrti" verse?

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Wed Mar 14 07:01:24 UTC 2007

>   Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK> wrote:
> sa.mpraapte tu kalau kaale vindhyaadrer uttare sthitaa.h
>
> braahma.naa yaj~narahitaa jyoti.h"saastraparaa"nmukhaa.h
>
> vindhyasya dak.si.ne bhaage yatra godaavarii nadii
>
> tatra vedaa"s ca yaj~na"s ca bhavi.syanti kalau yuge
>
> This verse about the southern location of the best
>traditions during the Kali yuga is cited by Altekar,
>History of Benares from Pre-historic Times to the Present
>Day, 1937, p.38, as being from "smritis like the Vyasa".
> Does anyone have a more precise reference for this
>verse, or anything close to it?

The next best thing I can offer is this: Hemadri's Caturvargacintamani frequently
quotes "Vyasa" in Parisesakhanda, Kalanirnaya section(= part 3,3), which pertains
to the above subject. The Bibliotheca Indica edition (also reprinted) has a table of
authorities, so the quotes are easy to find. Other Dharmanibandhas with respective
sections may be worth a try, too.
Should the quote be found there, the question remains what source Hemadri used.
Little help is available there, as far as I know, apart from R.C. Hazra's list of Puranic
sources.

Best regards
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Göttingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm