river mahatmyas

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Tue Mar 13 09:09:24 UTC 2007

I suggest to look at the catalogues of mss. which
are full of such (mostly unpublished) texts:
for example, in Eggeling's IO Catalogue:
n° 3434-36 Pinaakinii-maahaatmya (river Pennar) asigned to the Brahmaa.n.daP;
n° 3601: ms. (Telugu script) of the
Paapaghni-maahaatmya, professing to form part of
the VaayuP
I remember also having seen somewhere (Descr.
cat. Palace library or C.O.L. Trivandrum, I
think) mss. of Taamrapar.nii- and
Kaaverii-maahaatmyas
(About the Revaa- or Narmadaa-maahaatmya, it
should be noted that the mss. of it claim to be
part of the VaayuP, cf. IO Catalogue n° 3595, ms.
dated 1610 AD,  despite the fact that when it was
published at the Venkateshvara Press it was
ascribed to the SkandaP, forming its
Revaa-kha.n.da; as well noted by Hazra 1940: 158
fn., the original ascription of this maahaatmya
to the Vaayu is supported by the printed text
itself, 5.16 and 229.1; samely, it is not
described in NaaP 1,104 on the Skanda but well in
NaaP 1,95 as the uttarabhaaga of the VaaP).
Hope this may help,
Christophe Vielle