river mahatmyas

JN jneuss at ARCOR.DE
Mon Mar 12 14:14:21 UTC 2007

dear colleagues,

i am collecting information on river mahatmyas. i am especially interested
to know for which rivers mahatmyas exist.
I know that mahatmyas exist for the Narmada river.
Anne Feldhaus (in her work "Water and Womanhood", 1995) has reported a
number of mahatmyas for rivers in Maharashtra, i.e. the Godavari, Bhima,
Payosni (Purna), Tapi, Krsna. Now, all these texts seem to cover a rather
limited geographical area. My question is: Are there any such texts
composed for more distantly located rivers?
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

thanks and best regards

jn

Jürgen Neuß, M.A.

Free University Berlin
Institute for Languages and Cultures of South Asia
Koenigin-Luise-Str. 34a
D-14195 Berlin
Germany