XVIIth century use of devanaagarii script in Kerala by Gauda Sarasvata Brahmins

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at UCLOUVAIN.BE
Mon Mar 12 09:31:38 UTC 2007

Dear list,
I apologize for giving myself the answer to what could have been seen
as something surprizing (at least to me). Thanks to a very
interesting comment given off-list by Thennilapuram Mahadevan, we
have indeed to assume that  "Ranga Botto, Vinaique Pandito & Apu
Botto, omnes tres de Natione & Religione Bramanas & Gymnosophistae
antiqui" were "Northern" Gauda Sarasvata Brahmins (about which see
the discussion with Frank Conlon, Frits Staal etc. in the
Indology-archives of the 24th of November 2004 and after), which
gives an supplementary testimony of their historical links with the
Portuguese power on the West Coast (and their still cultural
prevalence thereafter under the Dutch dominion).
Best regards,
Christophe Vielle