Question on panchatantra

McComas Taylor mccomas.taylor at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Mar 9 00:46:25 UTC 2007

Prof Kirk is quite correct - this story is not in Purnabhadra's PT, on
which Rajan's translation (and Ryder's) is based, or any of the
'Southern' recensions, Hitopadesha, etc. The story does not sound very
Indic to me - wolves are virtually unknown in kathA or epic literature.
I don't claim to know Vikramodaya. What I do know of Hertel's work is
that it is very unlikely to have errors in it.

Hope this helps

McC

--
Dr McComas Taylor

Tel: +61 2 6125 3179
Fax: +61 2 6125 8326

Email: mccomas.taylor at anu.edu.au
Location: Room E4.26 Baldessin Precinct Building