Question on panchatantra

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Mar 8 20:11:50 UTC 2007

As I recall, there is a long article on the Judgement of Solomon
theme in the Tawney and Penzer version of the _ Ocean of Story _,
though if my memory is correct they did not entitle it the
judgement of Solomon (perhaps resisting the suggestion that
the Biblical tradition might be treated as folklore).
In any event, it's the best place to start to trace this
out in the Kathaa literature.

I've discussed some of the Buddhist versions in my
_The Tibetan Assimilation of Buddhism_, ch. 2.

Matthew Kapstein