Indian Government offers support for Bhandarkar Institute

Enrica Garzilli garzilli at ASIATICA.ORG
Sat Mar 3 10:19:28 UTC 2007

I just want to express my happiness for this outcome, and I want to
congratulate the secretary of the BORI Prof. Dhadphale on this!

I was present at the meeting of December 2. I was lecturing at the nearby
Indian Law Society (ILS) Law College and, of course, I went to the BORI and
met a few times its secretary Prof. Dhadphale and its pundits.

We were having tea together with the editor-in-chiefs of the new projects
and some old pundits while the Finance Minister Chidambaram unexpectedly
came to visit. When the gate-keeper came to announce his presence, Prof
Dhadphale stood up like as a spring while the pundits went on sipping their
chai.

After a few minutes, Prof. Dhadphale made some of us gather in the common
huge room where the Minister was sitting. Flowers, small cookies, lot of
books and some of their publications were on the long table set for the
visit. The Minister Chidambaram  was sitting at the head of the table.
Everything seemed prepared well in advance and just perfect, in the usual
warm, hospitable and productive atmosphere of BORI. A wonderful place
indeed.

It was immediately clear that the Minister was very impressed by the very
well kept institute and the magnificent works they are preparing. Smartly
Prof. Dhadphale, in just a few minutes actually, depicted the situation,
their major works, and said that even foreign scholars from all over the
world visit the BORI. He then mentioned the famous Italian scholar Giuseppe
Tucci, the teacher of my teachers, who visited the BORI several times.

Quickly the Head Librarian described the library situation and showed an
account of the BORI and its projects, and how much it needed. The Minister
gave a quick look and in a few minutes promised to do something. Immediately
he gave the institute some "pocket money" and asked them to send to his
secretary a detailed management accounting for the major expenses, projects
included.

I cannot believe that after only 2 and half months the Minister decided to
take the wonderful decision as to give full government support to the BORI.

Congratulations again, Prof. Dhadphale! I was lucky indeed to be present.

Dr. Enrica Garzilli
University of Macerata, (Italy)
Editor-in-Chief IJTS-JSAWS, Asiatica Association
http://www.asiatica.org