Prof Ingalls on Sanskrit OCR

Arlo Griffiths arlo.griffiths at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Wed Jun 27 12:44:28 UTC 2007

Thank you for the link to the delightful Ingalls Sr./Jr. video, which
I could watch and enjoy without any problems yesterday. I then
forwarded the link to several students, but they could no longer
access the page, and today it is closed to me also. Can anybody
explain, and is there any (other) way to get access to the video?

Arlo Griffiths

On Jun 26, 2007, at 5:22 AM, McComas Taylor wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> You may be interested in this interesting video:
>
>   http://homepage.mac.com/david.hoggan/iMovieTheater34.html
>
> The year is 1980 at the Palo Alto Research Center.  Daniel Ingalls
> (a great American Sanskritist) explains the Sanskrit language,
> literature and writing to a crowd of computer scientists, then his
> son Dan Ingalls Jr. (a well‐known, then budding, computer
> scientist) talks about the technical side of Sanskrit/Devanāgarī
> character recognition.
>

> Also, Greg Bailey was just on the ABC The Book Show talking about
> Sanskrit: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bookshow/default.htm
>
> Regards
> Mark
>
> --
> ===============================
> Dr McComas Taylor
> Head, South Asia Centre
> Faculty of Asian Studies
> The Australian National University
> ACTON ACT 0200
>
> Tel: +61 2 6125 3179
> Fax: +61 2 6125 8326
>
> Email: mccomas.taylor at anu.edu.au
> Location: Room E4.26 Baldessin Precinct Building

Arlo Griffiths
Instituut Kern, Universiteit Leiden
Postbus 9515
2300 RA Leiden, the Netherlands