Help with metre

Roland Steiner steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Tue Jun 19 15:03:11 UTC 2007

The metre in question is an ardhasamav.rtta called Pu.spitaagraa (odd
paada-s: na-na-ra-ya; even paada-s: na-ja-ja-ra-ga). Cf. e.g., the
definition in Ratnaakara;saanti's Chandoratnaakara 3.10.

In fact, the Pu.spitaagraa is a "frozen" maatraav.rtta of the
Aupacchandasaka (or, Aupacchandasika) type. The odd paadas (1 and 3)
of an Aupacchandasaka consist of 6 maatraa-s or morae (i.e. three
ga.na-s of 2 morae each) plus the two ga.na-s ra (-u-) and ya (u--):

uu/- uu/- uu/- + -u- u--

The even paada-s (2 and 4) consist 8 maatraa-s (i.e. four ga.na-s of 2
morae each) plus ra (-u-) and ya (u--):

uu/- uu/- uu/- uu/- + -u- u--

Thus, the Aupacchandasaka could also be described as a Vaitaaliiya
with an additional long syllable at the end of each paada. A
definition is found, e.g., in Ratnaakara;saanti's Chandoratnaakara
5.14. There is also a "frozen" form of the Vaitaaliiya metre, viz.,
the ardhasamav.rtta called Aparavaktra (metrical structure: odd
paada-s na-na-ra-la-ga; even paada-s na-ja-ja-ra); cf.
Chandoratnaakara 3.9.

With kind regards,
Roland Steiner

----- Nachricht von zysk at HUM.KU.DK ---------