Online CPD--request

Jonathan Silk silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jun 12 18:47:27 UTC 2007

Colleagues,

I've been in private contact with Ole Holten Pind, in charge of the
CPD, and he asked me to forward the following request to Indology
members. He wrote me as follows:

"I am truly pleased to see that my suggestion to make the CPD
accessible online to scholars has generated such interest. In fact,
the number of visitors to the site has been so overwhelming that we
have been forced to block access for some time until the dictionary
has been properly proof read and transferred to another server that
accommodates similar traffic and all the necessary technical
requirements. "

Therefore Dr Pind asks that you wait patiently for these technical
refinements. However, he did emphasize to me that the notion of
contributions to the dictionary from, I suppose we might say (my
words, not his) non-traditional contributors, is a very welcome one,
although there is as yet no mechanism in place to moderate (or
gate-keep) such contributions.

The other point he emphasized is the continuing need for funding.
Fully realizing that there are many worthy causes in the world,
people suffering unimaginably every moment, I still think that some
of us might see the value in *also* working to maintain and continue
and speed the progress of this truly monumental international
project, and I for one do think that Indology is and should be a
forum for such discussions (i.e., how to fund the CPD, not the
suffering of humanity).

Thanks for reading, JAS
--
Jonathan Silk
Department of Asian Languages & Cultures

 From July 15, 2007:

Prof. Dr. Jonathan Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden
Postbus 9515