12 Names of Surya

Elizabeth De Michelis elizabeth.demichelis at ORIEL.OX.AC.UK
Wed Jan 24 16:06:08 UTC 2007

Dear David,

I do not know about the actual textual provenance of this list
(someone else may know this), but it is found in the following book,
where it is unattributed:

Sadguru Sant Keshavadas, GAyatrI: The Highest Meditation, 2002
Motilal Banarsidass

the book first came out in 1978 and has gone through many reprints
since, we can therefore assume it has been quite successful and
widely distributed.

The list (with the full Sanskrit invocation for each name, such as OM
MitrAya Nama.h etc) is found on pages 84-85, and is part of
preparatory prayers to perform "SandhyA-vandana", a discipline of 16
kriyAs, explained in the book in fair amount of detail, "in which the
universal light of GAyatrI is invoked" (:81). This particular list is
indeed prescribed to accompany sun salutation performance.

Do let me know if you get any further offline information, I'd be
interested to know.

Best regards

EDM

Dr Elizabeth De Michelis