A question concerning the history of Samkhya

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Fri Jan 19 11:44:31 UTC 2007

In the light of Jan Houben's posting dated Fri, 12 Jan 2007 03:03:54, which came to
my belated attention on 17.1.2007, I see fit to get some things out of the way before
I reply to the issue itself on Monday (weather permitting).

Jan Houben strongly disapproves of the parody (or call it hoax ...) that started this
particular thread. I see parody as a legitimate means of expression as long as it is
clearly distinguished from serious business, and I gather from various examples in
the archives of this list that at least some members see this in a similar way (see,
e.g., #003826, 95/11/23). Whether parody is considered appropriate or otherwise
depends very much on the position one sees oneself in. Anyway, parody has the
potential to bring out aspects that cannot be expressed by other means. As for the
case in hand, my hoax projects an assumed aspect of the history of Samkhya to an
entirely different field to highlight the absurdity of a particular variety of
contemporary discourse. (The serious business will follow on Monday; I didn't bring
it up earlier because I was still waiting for Jan Houben's reply - which didn't reach
me because it had filtered out by our mailing system.)

What is not considered a legitimate means of expression, according to the rules of
this list (www.indology.info/email/email-const.shtml), are "personal attacks of an ad-
hominem nature". Whether some of Jan Houben's remarks qualify for this category
"shall be a matter for the List committee", of which Jan Houben is a member (see
www.indology.info/email/email-comm.shtml). I, for one, tend to take personal
remarks lightly; whoever catches at this straw usually has little else to bring forward
in support of his views.

Should some members consider me unqualified for further discussion because of
my use of parody, I'm prepared to live with that.

Greetings
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Göttingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm