Making the Argument for Sanskrit

Herman Tull hwtull at MSN.COM
Mon Jan 15 17:34:47 UTC 2007

As Dominic points out these are two separate (and unequal) arguments.
Professor Hart's argument is, of course, the primary one.  However, the DWM
("dead white male") argument, though a minor point, is not entirely
uncompelling. It shows that Sanskrit and Indological studies have long been
an important part of the western academic tradition.  That it was studied by
DWMs is a reflection of the reality of Western universities prior to about
1970--largely populated by white (and often privileged) males (whether in
physics, law, medicine, or Indology).  This is no longer the case; indeed,
the broadening of the social, sexual, and ethnic spectrum at western
universities is all the more reason to continue these studies, bringing new
perspectives to the field (not just the limited view of the the DWMs) as we
move forward.

I know it appears narcissistic to extol these DWM scholars (for, by
extension, we implicitly extol ourselves), but Dominic started this thread
by trying to get us to raise the profile of the field within the context of
Western universities.  I think the DWM argument, at least in a minor key,
and along with the other more important argument about South Asian Studies
in general, is one which will get at least a modest response.  Great
scholars and great programs, at least in the public's perception, are
invariably linked.  Universities unabashedly exploit these links in
representing themselves, in what appears to be a never ending quest to raise
their own profiles.

Herman Tull