River

Fri Jan 12 17:01:01 UTC 2007

Patrick,

this is the Pali  Neranjanaa, where you can find many more detail
(Vinaya I 1 sqq; see details in Malalasekara's Dictionary of Pali
Proper Names.  Several (pseudo-)etymologies of the name.

Identified with the modern Niilaajanaa (Nīlājanā), which originates in
Harzaribhagh, joins the Mohanaa, to form the river Phalgu.
(Cunningham's Ancient Geography of India, p. 524, etc etc.)

Cheers,

Michael

On Jan 12, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Patrick Olivelle wrote:

> Does any of you know a river named Nairanjanaa? I have not been able
> to find this in any index. It occurs in Asvaghosa's Buddhacarita
> (12.90). This is where the future Buddha meets the five mendicants.
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
1 Bow Street , 3rd floor, Cambridge MA 02138
1-617-495 3295           Fax: 496 8571
direct line:       496 2990
<http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm>