Making the Argument for Sanskrit

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Fri Jan 12 10:30:05 UTC 2007

On 12 Jan 2007 at 3:05, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Matt Kapstein was not blaming the A-Bomb on the Gita, ...

Dear Professor Lusthaus,
Neither did I suggest he was doing that, as you may conclude from my previous
message. On the other hand, I cannot see how Professor Kapstein's remark could
possibly serve as an argument in the present case. To be frank, I doubt the
usefulness of what I'd like to call the "name-dropping-approach" (for want of a better
word), even if it was restricted to indologists (which is clearly not the case with
Oppenheimer). But then, the last sentence in Professor Kapstein's remark may also
indicate that it was made in a more light-hearted vein.

Very early on in this discussion, I had drawn attention to the book by Gumbrecht,
which may save many people the trouble of having to re-invent the wheel for
making a similar argument. Besides, isn't there is a draft petition ready to be
signed? The very last thing I would expect from Berlin authorities in charge is that
they take more than a cursory look at petitions - they probably get piles of them
every day.

Greetings
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Göttingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm