Making the Argument for Sanskrit

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jan 12 08:05:11 UTC 2007

Matt Kapstein was not blaming the A-Bomb on the Gita, but merely reporting a
well-known fact, which is that when Oppenheimer witnessed the first A-bomb
test, his spontaneous reaction to the awesome power of the explosion was to
recite, from memory, BG 11.32:

Kālo 'smi lokakṣayakṛt pravṛddho

Lokān samāhartum iha pravṛttaḥ

ṛte 'pi tvāṃ na bhaviṣyanti sarve

ye 'avasthitāḥ pratyanīkeṣu yodhāḥ

which, I think we might agree, was an apt utterance for that occasion.

Dan Lusthaus