Making the Argument for Sanskrit (was: Re: How to salvage Sanskrit in Berlin)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Jan 11 19:09:02 UTC 2007

Further to David's point below, it could be useful to compile a list of
particularly famous people who had Sanskri, sometimes unexpectedly, in
their backgrounds.  Using such a list would be purely a rhetorical device,
but could still be effective in winning some hearts and minds.

examples off the top of my head:

Hermann Grassmann (1809-1877), famous mathematician.
Leonard Bloomfield (1887--1949), structural linguist, behaviourist,
   scholar of American Indian languages, and founder of the Linguistic
   Society of America.
Ferdinand de Saussure (1857--1913), linguist, founder of structuralism.

Dominik