HOW TO SALVAGE SANSKRIT IN BERLIN

David Rustin Mellins drm8 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jan 11 17:09:29 UTC 2007

I certainly agree with Andrea and others that the most effective
immediate response to the current crisis is to send letters in
support of the Sanskrit program in Berlin. As a component of a more
comprehensive strategy to redress cutbacks in Sanskrit programs
throughout the world, would it be feasible or helfpul to conduct
studies to investigate whether studying Sanskrit expedites
linguistic capacity more generally? Statistical evidence might well
strengthen the argument for Sanskrit studies.

                          David Mellins