Indology and "the disastrous ideology of the 'pure Aryan race'"

George Thompson gthomgt at COMCAST.NET
Tue Jan 9 22:35:17 UTC 2007

Dear List,

With regard to the question of evidence, which I too think is obligatory
if not required, perhaps it will be of some interest to illustrate what
I would take to be fairly good evidence of complicity with, or at least
consent to, "the disastrous ideology of the 'pure Aryan race'" which we
have been discussing.

The example that I offer comes not from an Indologist, let me say, but
nevertheless from a well-known classicist and historian, Franz Altheim.

When I was a graduate student at the Univ. of California at Berkeley, I
frequently visited the library's room where little-used or duplicate
books were withdrawn from circulation and offered for sale.  That is how
I acquired many valuable books and papers, like H. Oldenberg's Rgveda
Noten, vol 1, as well as his "Zur Geschichte der altindischen Prosa."
I also acquired Altheim's *Die Krise der Alten Welt im 3. Jahrhundert n.
zw. und ihre Ursachen: Bildteil von E. Trautmann-Nehring: Dritter Band:
Goetter und Kaiser* 1943.

This book was a curiosity which sat on the library's sale shelf for many
months.  It seems that no one was willing to touch it.  As a result,
every few months its price was cut in half, so that I eventually bought
it for one dollar.

The book was published by "Ahnenerbe-Stiftung Verlag, Berlin-Dahlem,
1943" -- a rather ominous title, given the date of publication.  But
what makes this book good evidence of complicity or consent is that it
was preceded by the following Gleitwort:

"Ein Volk lebt so lange gluecklich in Gegenwart und Zukunft, als es sich
seiner Vergangenheit und der Groesse seiner Ahnen bewisst ist."  Signed
by Heinrich Himmler, Reichsfuehrer.

Was it common that books published in Germany during the war years would
have had a Gleitwort from the likes of Himmler?  Is there any evidence
that any Indological books published in Germany from that period may
have had such a stamp of approval?

Best wishes,

George Thompson