Making the Argument for Sanskrit : a Real Problem and Directions for a Solution

gruenendahl gruenen at MAIL.SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Thu Jan 4 13:59:14 UTC 2007

So now it's Professor Houben's
> article of Beyond Orientalism (ed. by K. Preisendanz and E. Franco,
> Amsterdam 1997): Orientalism, its critique, and beyond."
> IIAS-Newsletter, no. 15 p. 16. International Institute for Asian Studies, 1998.

However, this says nothing about his current position on the claims cited in my
earlier message. Are they unceremoniously dropped, or does he stick to them
courageously (I think that was the word), in spite of the objections I raised? Has he
taken notice of my point, and - are these claims open for debate?

"Making the argument for Sanskrit" is not entirely unrelated to the style of
discussion on this list, I think.

Greetings
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Goettingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83
Fax (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 23 61
gruenen at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm