Making the Argument for Sanskrit

Whitney Cox wmcox at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Jan 3 21:35:34 UTC 2007

Dear friends,

I have been following today’s discussion with great
interest: this discussion is past due among members of our
field, and I think that there has been a good start to it
today.  Dominik’s idea of posting a sort of “mission
statement” on the INDOLOGY web site is a commendable one,
and I would like to add another suggestion into the
discussion.

While it is natural to feel rancor when your livelihood is
threatened, I don’t think that demonizing the various deans,
chancellors, provosts etc. who work at all of our
institutions is really productive: it is their job to look
to the fiscal bottom line, just as it is our job to teach
and to research.  The complaints from administrative types
that I have most frequently encountered about the study
(especially the linguistic study) of premodern India are
two: low student enrollment beyond the most elementary
level, and the lack of high-profile, income-generating
research projects.  The caricature (and caricature it is)
that they have of the indologist is a misanthrope who
resents undergraduate teaching, and who works over her own
arcane research in a vacuum from the larger intellectual
life of the university.

Of course, this simply isn’t true.  A great many scholars of
early India of my acquaintance are very gifted and
successful teachers, at all levels of instruction. And some
of the most intrinsically valuable recent work in the field
has been the result of long-term, multiple-investigator
projects that more closely resemble research in the natural
and social sciences than the traditional indological
monograph. The books and studies produced from places like
Groningen, Halle, Chicago et cetera are very good Indology
and present a model of research funding that is increasingly
going to be attractive to university administrators the
world over.

This is where my suggestion comes in. This listserve has
proven to be an extremely effective means of communication
and tool to foster discussion within members of our field.
I would like to propose that we further extend this by
having the INDOLOGY site house an archive of a.) syllabi and
other pedagogical materials that members of the list have
successfully used and b.) successful applications for
research grants (or even unsuccessful applications with
reviewers comments, if anyone would be so selfless).

In addition to allowing us to take stock of our core
interests and professional principles, as Dominik rightly
suggests, this would help us to improve our practices as
teachers and as researchers.  Many of our colleagues work in
institutions where they are the only indologist, or one of a
small handful, and this would be a great help for those who
don’t have the luxury of existing courses they can adopt, or
the direct advice of fellow workers in the field.  Speaking
as someone at the beginning of my research career, it would
be extremely useful to have a model of a successful
application to the NSF/AHRC/DFG etc as a way to help
structure my own research, and (again, this is just my
editorializing) I would be especially interested in
exploring the collective approach used so successfully by
some of our colleagues.  This is a somewhat tricky subject,
I realize (more so than syllabi) since research proposals
are proprietary documents, but I think that it would be easy
enough to have a password protected archive the use of which
would be limited to approved members of the list.

Other attempts at this already exist: there is the Project
South Asia page (http://projectsouthasia.sdstate.edu/
focusing on the area-studies field as a whole), while my
colleague Manan Ahmed at the University of Chicago has
proposed a more exhaustive, wiki-based collection of
teaching materials, including images, lecture notes, etc.
But one dedicated to our field would obviously be all the
more useful.

Every effort needs to be made to ensure that Indology and
its allied subjects are seen for what they are, crucial
areas of global humanistic study.  We may do this by making
our case in as many public fora as possible, but also by
laboring to ensure that our work as teachers and as
researchers are as principled and as compelling as any
branch of knowledge.

A very happy new year to you all,

Whitney