Indus signs discussion

Wed Feb 14 17:23:38 UTC 2007

Dear Harry and All,

"High Noon" is not what we have proposed.

Instead, we have proposed a reasoned, point by point discussion of the
main theories,  by preference involving the main contenders.
(So far we have only got personalia. (*)  Enough of that!)

Now that Asko has refused to discuss things on our list (IER:
to do it here
-- (*if* he still wants to do it? -- As he suddenly says today: "I
intend to withdraw from this discussion as an active participant and to
remain an attentive listener").
But we can only do so if the proponents of our (Farmer-Sproat-Witzel)
theory, too, are allowed to post here. This is not the case so far as
far as S. Farmer and R. Sproat are concerned,  and I do not  want to
"channel" them here all the time, a very tedious procedure.

Also, it would be advisable that Iravatham Mahadevan, whose recent
Newspaper summary of his views (in the Hindu) has kicked off the
current debate, would be present, but we do not know yet whether he
wants to participate or not.

----

These technicalities apart, I do not think that we will have to wait
for more years or decades to pass, or until we are all dead, and a new
generation will pick up the pieces again. Our theory has been out for
more than 2 years now, and people have had time for reflection -- and
digestion.

So far we have only Asko's paper of June 2005, and a short newspaper
article by I. Mahadevan of Jan. 2007,  both of which need discussion.
(Plus, some rumors about oral discussions here or there).

In sum, why not take up the main points, pro and contra, in an orderly
fashion (**), and discuss them  -- without the usual internet-style
veering off at all tangents (as we have seen already in this thread).

Could one be clearer than this (my INDOLOGY post of February 13, 2007) :

"The idea was to discuss your paper, minus the personal remarks,
and the Farmer-Sproat-Witzel paper in the Current Anthropology format --
just focusing on the evidence.  ... ... We think this can be done in an
orderly way online,
as we try to do on our list."  (**)

What is wrong, please, with this proposal?

Scholarship, including the humanities, progresses by critique and
counter-critique, which allows bystanders (and proponents!) to see the
strong and weak points of the proposed theories, --  not just by
endless individual rumination.

In this sense, I hope we can make some progress here (once all involved
can write on this list).

Michael

Notes:

(*) Personalia:

I do not wish to continue this item ad nauseam,  however,  reference
has been made to A. Lawler's inappropriate characterizations of  (and
clear inventions about)  Steve Farmer in his Science article of Dec.
2004.  -- I too speak from experience: never trust any journalist! --

This is a matter of personal honor, but Steve cannot defend himself
here. Therefore, I  must copy what he wrote about Lawler's "journalism"
  in our list
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Indo-Eurasian_research/message/6107> :

"....ad hominem remarks directed at me, drawn out of
context from a reporter's biographical fabrications about me, which
contained a number of flagrant misquotations. Parpola has since
circulated a paper on the Web that contains those same ad hominem
remarks and misquotations, which he has represented as fact -- despite
the fact that I told him forcefully in Kyoto [June 2005] that the
remarks were not
mine."

(**) some IER rules:

Rule #4:
> the List's main goal is to encourage discussion of major unsettled
> issues in premodern studies. As a result, it is critical that all
> posts focus exclusively on ideas and evidence, and not on the persons
> proposing those ideas.

> No posts are allowed that claim anything on the
> 'authority' of past researchers or speak ex cathedra; nor will
> messages be posted that include rude comments, 'flames', or ad hominem
> remarks aimed at other posters. ...

> Questioning of standard views of history are encouraged, not
> discouraged, on the List, so long as this questioning is backed by
> plausible and ultimately verifiable evidence.

Rule #2:
Major topics of controversial nature. Topics of special importance
to the advance of premodern Eurasian studies may from time to time be
introduced to the List by core List members.  ...

The moderators will step in as needed to
ensure that these discussions keep on track and don't get diverted
(e.g., through gratuitous 'splitting' of threads) in tangental
directions. The idea is to bring these high-priority discussions to
resolution in an orderly way.

See: <http://www.safarmer.com/Indo-Eurasian/rules.html>