Indus signs discussion

Tue Feb 13 14:00:48 UTC 2007

Dear Asko,

Thank you very  much for the Indus-related messages.  Sorry for the
delay: I'm busy with the new semester, besides deadlines. You said,
among other items:

> I regret that I did not notify Michael when deciding not send my paper
> to the EJVS, that I missed the chance of getting a "CA"-like [Current
> Anthropology] treatment (he undoubtedly offered this, but I somehow
> missed it during our conversation, which took place in the rush of
> workshop dispersal)

Actually, I have suggested the Current Anthropology format at least
twice, via email. The idea was to discuss your paper, minus the
personal remarks, and the Farmer-Sproat-Witzel paper in the Current
Anthropology format -- just focusing on the evidence.

We think that a consensus could be reached quickly using this kind of
format, since we think your paper does not really cover our best
arguments adequately. As mentioned, you were to get the final word.

We like this point-by-point discussion, with immediate feedback, since
this issue really needs to be resolved, due to its general importance
in Indian history. We think this can be done in an orderly way online,
as we try to do on our list. Are you willing to do it?

All of us, maybe also Iravatham Mahadevan, will of course have a chance
finally to discuss these issues with a very large group of linguists at
the upcoming  Stanford conference on July 11th:

<http://serrano.ai.uiuc.edu/2007Workshop>

But it would even be better, I think, if we could have a broad public
discussion that includes Indologists and others, due to  the importance
of the issue.

Do you accept this proposal?

Best,
Michael

C/C Indo-Eurasian-Reearch  @ Yahoo

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University
1 Bow Street , 3rd floor, Cambridge MA 02138
1-617-495 3295           Fax: 496 8571
direct line:       496 2990
<http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm>