[Indo-Eurasia] **The Farmer-Sproat-Witzel Model

George Thompson gthomgt at COMCAST.NET
Thu Feb 8 03:16:40 UTC 2007

Dear Indologists,

Let me explain why this post from me was sent to the Indology list.  I.
Mahadevan has recently published an argument against the view of Farmer,
Sproat & Witzel that the signs of the IVC are not a script.  While I
myself am not persuaded by Mahadevan's argument, I think that his
argument should be considered seriously, since, as we alll know,  he is
a good scholar who has already made significant contributions to
Indology.  He deserves to be listened to, in his own words.

He has recently been invited by Farmer et al., to debate with them about
this matter.  Farmer et al. propose to offer him an open medium where
this matter could be discussed rationally and openly.  But I doubt that
this proposal should be taken seriously, and I would recommend to
Mahadevan that he should avoid this poisoned invitation.

The Farmer list is in fact not a typical academic research list.  It is
a list devoted to one person's research interests, encouraged by friends
and research money from exploitable ideologues.  Look at at  his
excessive talk of prize money, offered to those that please him and his
money-sources.   This is not scholarship.  It is a game of money-gathering.

Look, when I sent my earlier post to this list, I told you all to expect
that a discussion with Farmer would amount to little more than a brief
note from some list member, framed by a Farmer moderator's note and
enclosed by a Farmer refutation. Instead, what we got  from him in this
case was a tell-tale silence.

In such an environment, only one person wins the debate, and his name is
always Steve Farmer.

Well, as long as I can speak to you directly, this fraud will not go by
unnoticed.

George Thompson