The word uttara in the titles of texts, particularly "saiva tantras

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 23 09:13:11 UTC 2007

I think that there are a number of ideas that can be intended with -
uttara in such titles.  The idea that first suggests itself is
surely, as Matthew Kapstein has pointed out, that the work in
question builds on or supplements an earlier one.

The Uttarasuutra of the Ni"svaasatattvasa.mhitaa, for instance,
appears to be a supplement to the Muulasuutra of the same text (an
edition of the text is underway in Pondicherry). No claim to
superiority seems to be intended. So too the Rauravottara claims to
follow on from an earlier Raurava, giving further teachings of "Siva
to Ruru, and the unpublished Mohacuu.dottara (aka Moha"suurottara), a
conversation between "Siva and Indra, claims to follow on from
(without being superior to) an earlier tantra. For a non-tantric
(perhaps lay Paa"supata) instance of this sort of name, one could
point to the unpublished "Sivadharmottara.

In some "Saiva cases the tantra in question claims also to transcend
the tantra that it follows.  Thus the Sarvaj~naanottaratantra (a
complete edition of which is underway in Pondicherry) announces that
it follows on from the Vaathula, giving further questions that
Kaarttikeya addressed to "Siva, along with "Siva's replies.  (Cf. the
Vi"svasaarottara, which I do not think survives, but whose title is
evidently a similar claim to universal superiority.)

Of the Vaathula itself (also known as the Vaatula, Aagneya,
Kaalapaada, Kaalaj~naana, etc.) there are many recensions with
various titles and the "original" recension may not survive, but the
colophons of the surviving texts tend to use the titles Kaalaj~naana
and Kaalottara interchangeably.  Now it is possible that the -uttara
in Kaalottara expresses that the text bearing the title follows upon
and transcends a tantra called Kaala, but it is also possible that in
this case another idea is expressed, namely that the text treats of
transcending Time/Death.  (The title Kaalaj~naana refers to the
knowledge that a yogin may attains of the time of his death, this
kaalaj~naana being a topic which forms an important part of the
surviving short recensions.)  Comparable, perhaps, is the
Diik.sottara, "Beyond Initiation".

In some cases the -uttara may either be otiose or express no more
than that the tantra is superior among other unspecified tantras.
Thus the M.rgendratantra is in the colophons to some MSS referred to
as the M.rgendrottara (e.g. the manuscript that also transmits the
Paraakhya), even though there is no earlier M.rgendratantra which
claims to supplement or excel (the tantra claims instead to be a
recension (upabheda) of the Kaamikatantra).  And are there not also
MSS that transmit the Paa~ncaraatra Jayaakhyasa.mhitaa whose
colophons call the text the Jayottara ?  In this last case another
interpretation could be arrived at by bahuvriihi-analysis : "that
which has Victory as its result". (Cf. also Vallabhadeva, commenting
on uttara in Raghuva.m"sa 6.50: uttara"sabda aadhikyam bruvaa.na.h
sammi"sratvam aaha.)

In short, I think that there are a number of possibilities to be
considered, among which the 3 that Michael Slouber suggested do not
seem to me, at first blush, to be the most probable.

Dr. Dominic Goodall
Head,
Pondicherry Centre,
Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient ("French School of Asian Studies"),
P.O. Box 151,
16 & 19, Dumas Street,
Pondicherry 605001,
INDIA