The Buddha meets Holger Danske

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Wed Apr 11 09:24:44 UTC 2007

Walter Slaje wrote:

> Is there something in that, or nothing
> behind it? Any hard facts or some
> reliable background information
> available from our Scandinavian
> colleagues?

I have heard nothing about this personally. But I remember that during the
late sixties and seventies, right-wing youth who wanted to fight the
communists/marxist-leninists who were rampaging in the political landscape
of the time, would join the Norwegian National Guard. So there is a
precedence for joining the Guard if you think you have to fight in the
future. In Norway, the National Guard was the unit where most Norwegian
servicemen were organized. For most of us, it was a mandatory part of
national service, but the Guard also accepted young people as volunteers
(The National Guard of the Youth). They received some rudimentary military
training. Now, the National Guard has shed quite a lot of troops and
upgraded the quality of its equipment (it's becoming a more elite unit), but
in my time, the Guard was decidedly folksy and subsisted on second hand
equipment. The first weapon I got to carry home was a German WWII Schmeisser
machine pistol - a handy thing to have in your cupboard, particularly with
100 rounds of ammunition packed in plastic. I then got an AG3, also with
enough ammo to waste my neighbourhood. I suspect the Danish National Guard
wasn't/isn't much different, but I am sure our Danish colleagues know more
about this.

Lars Martin Fosse

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164