Pischel

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Apr 4 08:46:51 UTC 2007

I installed alternatiff I bring up a page of the book and save the
location (right click, l[ocation])

I open a command-line session and run the Cygwin version of the utility
WGET on the location.

When that completes, I have the book on my hard disk as a series of tiff
files, one per page.

I run tiff2pdf (also in Cygwin) on the directory, turning all the tiffs to
pdfs

I run pdftk (http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/) on the directory, turning
all the pdfs into one big pdf of the book.

I've automated most of this for myself.

The process is a bit home-made, but the results are excellent.  I have a
growing personal digital library of valuable books as PDF files.

Since the DLI directory structure is open, one can open an ftp or http
session in a browser and roam around the books that way.  It's still all
tiff files, but if WGET is not available one could fetch the files one at
a time.  It would be very labour intensive.  E.g., go to

  http://www.new.dli.ernet.in/data_copy/upload/0075/479/PTIFF/

for the Pischel files.

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk