Online Rigveda (fwd)

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Sep 18 13:03:23 UTC 2006

The Online Rigveda text is wonderful and provides easy access.  I wish someone working on this excellent website would provide the traditional received text of the RV side by side with the reconstructed text for easy comparison.

Madhav M. Deshpande

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology on behalf of Dominik Wujastyk
Sent: Mon 9/18/2006 3:55 AM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Online Rigveda (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Karen Thomson <kthomson at dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:25:14 +0100
Subject: Online Rigveda

The Linguistics Research Center at the University of Texas at Austin has
recently added a revision of van Nooten and Holland's metrically restored
edition of the text of the Rigveda to its online resources, at
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/RV/index.html - a joint project
undertaken by Karen Thomson and Jonathan Slocum, with the encouragement of
Professor Winfred Lehmann of the Center.

Van Nooten and Holland's edition, in making clear for the first time the
original poetic form and linguistic style of the Rigveda, constituted a
watershed in Rigvedic scholarship, but the book has been out of print for
a number of years. The primary purpose of the Texas online edition is to
make van Nooten and Holland's restored text generally accessible, and in a
form that is easy to read. In addition, in doing so we hope to facilitate
its further improvement and correction by scholars, and very much welcome
all comments and contributions to this end.