plans for an INDOLOGY FAQ

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Oct 30 11:21:04 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues,

I've long thought that INDOLOGY should have a modest "FAQ".  At last, with
Richard Mahoney's help, we're beginning to have something that we can use.

The idea is that we'll have a FAQ mounted on the INDOLOGY website,
indology.info. It will be cooperatively written by any of us (we?) list
members that wish to contribute.  If you wanted to do an entry, for
example, you would go to the website, call up the FAQ pages and online
editor, write what you wanted and submit it.

The text will then be assessed by the members of the INDOLOGY list
committee.  Or perhaps just the member on duty that week.  Anyhow, all
being well, it will then be published, and will appear as a new page of
the FAQ.

The idea is that the FAQ will present brief statements of the best
available professional information on selected indological topics, with
references to further reading and pointers to other resources as
appropriate.  It will be open to the public.

It would have been nice to do this at Wikipedia, but that forum is not
subject to professional editorial control, and entries are unstable and
vulnerable to wholesale organised rewriting by pak.sapaatins

To start the ball rolling, I'll add a series of stubs to an "alpha
release" version of the FAQ, just section headings to suggest how entries
could be organised.  Please send headings that you would like to see in
such a FAQ, marked hierarchically if you like.  For example:

Chronology / Indus Valley
            / Veda
            /Epics
            /Naage.sa Bhatttta