Grammar. Philosophy and Epistemology

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Oct 12 15:42:46 UTC 2006

What Madhav is saying is that the pazya- and dRz- don't have any
semantically significant distinction.  Their distribution in language
usage is governed by the *formal* requirements of grammatical suppletion,
not by semantic significance.  Madhav certainly isn't dismissing a
connection between grammar and philosophy!  The pazya- / dRz forms are
mutually-exclusive formal alternates, whose occurrence depends on formal
grammatical conditions, not on semantic context.

The Paninian rule that bears on this is 7.3.78, which rules that "pazya"
replaces "dRzi" when followed by a suffix with the marker "z".  There is
no suggestion here of any semantic trigger to the rule: the trigger is
purely formal.

In strictly Paninian terms (and vaiyakaranas, please correct me if I'm
wrong) there is no dhatu "paz" meaning "see", but only "dRz".

So, it would be wrong to say that pazyati means "he sees" in contrast to,
say, tasya darzanam vartate, "he has [profound] vision or insight".  The
statements are semantically identical.  Both phonetic forms can signify a
range of "see" acts, determined by the sentences they occur in.
Historical lexicographical study on these terms as embodied in the
standard dictionaries also does not support a difference.

There's a reasonable summary on grammatical suppletion at
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppletion
(I'm constantly surprised by Wikipedia.)

Best,
Dominik