Indian epistemic terms

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Thu Oct 12 07:48:36 UTC 2006

Harsha Dehejia wrote:

> An important concept that is overlooked by epistemologists is
> that of DRISHTI or visual knowledge.
>
> While PASHYATI is a verb there is no verb like DRASHYATI.
> This is  the beginning of an inquiry into visual knowledge.

I am not sure if this is a relevant argument. Pazyati belongs to the
conjugation of the verb dRz. This is a suppletive conjugation where the root
dRz handles the aorist, perfect, the future and the absolutive and
infinitive, whereas the present and the imperfect is handled by paz (to be
compared with Latin specio, the s being a "loose" s which comes and goes in
some Indo-European verbs.

Thus we have pazyati apazyat, but adrAkSIt, dadarza, drakSyati

It is a purely grammatical phenomenon, no conceptual arguments can be drawn
from it.

Best regards,

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164