Masculinity in Ancient India

Ulrich Timme Kragh utkragh at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Nov 27 03:56:57 UTC 2006

> Quoting Dr. John Powers:
> Could anyone recommend Indic sources on masculinity, from around 5 BCE
> to 10 CE? I'm particularly interested in notions of the ideal male body
> and what makes one a real man.

I would recommend you to take a look at "Conjugal Love in India: Ratisastra and
Ratiramana: Text, Translation and Notes" by Kenneth G. Zysk, Brill 2002. This
book contains many explanations on physical signs considered auspicious in
either the male or female bodies, especially in terms of marriage and
fertility. Although the Sanskrit texts studied here are later than the period
you specified, the general tradition of physiognomy can be traced back to the
period you are interested in.

With best wishes,
Tim
Dr. Ulrich Timme Kragh