NGMC(P)P online title list

Kengo Harimoto kengo.harimoto at UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Tue Nov 21 12:28:07 UTC 2006

Dear members of the list,

We have mentioned this in our Newsletter, no. 2, but for wider
testing, we would like to announce the availability of the (Beta
version of the) online database of the NGMCP.

-----------
The NGMCP would like to invite members of the list to test the online
version of the title list:

http://134.100.72.204:3000/

The goal of this online application is to make accurate information
about the manuscripts microfilmed by the NGMPP available to scholars
and students worldwide.  Currently the data that can be accessed is
based on that found on the CD-ROM, _Preliminary List of Manuscripts,
Blockprints and Historical Documents Microfilmed by the NGMPP, Part 1
(excluding Tibetan Material and Historical Documents)_, with
corrections made by the NGMCP (the process of correction is ongoing,
and is in its early stages at present). Our plans in the near future
include integration of  the data of the Tibetan material, and
integration of more detailed information from the current cataloging
project.

Some notes about the application:

- The web application is under development, and may not always work
as intended.  We expect that Internet Explorer, versions 6 and below,
will not work as well as other modern browsers. For the present, we
recommend users to test the application using Firefox (on all major
platforms) or Safari (on Mac OS X).

- We cannot guarantee 24/7 availability of the application at this
moment.  Please expect some occasional downtime or strange behaviour
during the daytime on weekdays in western Europe (GMT +1), as we may
modify, test or restart the application.

- We ask users to register to use the application.  We only ask for a
user name and password.  This is because we are planning to introduce
functionalities that depend on users' needs or privileges (such as
being able to correct the data in the database).  We have no
intention of obtaining personal information about users.  Anyone with
concerns about privacy can choose a completely random user name;
i.e., the user name does not have to be a real name or to bear any
relationship to an email address one uses.

- The use of the database should be straightforward after logging
in.  Some help texts are available in the form of links.

- If the application seems not to be working, please make sure that
cookies and Javascript/ECMAScript are enabled in your browser.

- Contact kengo.harimoto at uni-hamburg.de with questions and feedback
with regard to the application.

--
Kengo Harimoto
kengo.harimoto at uni-hamburg.de
Nepalese-German Manuscript Cataloguing Project
Abteilung fuer Kultur und Geschichte Indiens und Tibets
Universitaet Hamburg - Asien-Afrika-Institut
Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1 HG
20146 Hamburg
phone: +49-40-42838-6269