Uha

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Thu Nov 16 19:13:12 UTC 2006

Ashok,

Thank you for this clarification. I found one example of Uha in A Companion
to Sanskrit Literature, which is my only resource right now (I am afraid my
home arsenal of books has lacunae, and the university library is on the
other side of town). The Companion gives the following example:

1) Imagining. For example, in the sentence agnaye juSTaM nirvapAmi the word
sUryAya is to be imagined for agnaye as occasion arises.

2) Change, modification.

3) Logical consequence or connexion.

On the strength of point 1), I assumed that "meaning" was central. The
specific sentence in the KS refers to grammar:

asti vyAkaraNam ity avaiyAkaraNA api yAjJikA UhaM kratuSu prayuJjate

It would seem to me that "substitution" would then make better sense here
than "inferred meaning" - translationwise, we might not have to be precise
about what kind of substitution is meant, or we might use "grammatical
substitution". The point is: what level of precision should we expect in a
zAstra which is neither philosophical nor grammatical in nature?

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164