Form of Visnu as guru

alberto pelissero alberto.pelissero at UNITO.IT
Fri May 26 05:45:47 UTC 2006

On Dattaatreya you can see
Antonio Rigopoulos, Dattâtreya, The Immortal Guru, Yogin, and Avatara.
A Study of the Transformative and Inclusive Character of a Multi-faceted
Hindu Deity, SUNY Press, Albany/N.Y. 1998, pp. xvi-342 (good bibliography)
Regards,
Alberto Pelissero

----Original Message----
From: jenni.cover at URNET.COM.AU
Date: May 25, 2006 9:41:54 AM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subj: Re: Form of Visnu as guru

Thanks Martin. The connection with Valmiki's Ramayana will be an interesting
one to follow up as BodhasAra reminds me a little of the Yoga Vasishta.

The verse is from BodhasAra, written by Narahari in 1789. It is the first
verse in the first section: gurustavaH (Praise of Guru).

madamohAbhidhakrUramadhukaiTabhajiSNave
mokSalakSmInivAsAya namaH zrIguruviSNave

Actually I have just followed up Dean's information about Dattatreya and
have been delighted to discover that BodhasAra shows many similarities
the path of Dattatreya. There are lots of web-sites. Can anyone suggests
particularly good ones, or other papers/books of note on Dattatreya. Thanks
for the information and email contact Dean - I will follow it up.
I will be visiting Mumbai and Pune soon and it seems there may be sites
of
Dattatreya that I can visit. Any suggestions?
Jenni