Form of Visnu as guru

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Thu May 25 19:01:56 UTC 2006

First a minor point/quibble: It would be more accurate to describe the verse
as fifth in the first or Guru-stava chapter of Bodha-saara. The heading atha
guru-stava.h preceding the commentator's introduction to the verse is
obviously added by the editor (in conformity with the colophon of the first
chapter).

Many of the verses in this section state, through punning, metaphors etc.
(good religio-philosophical poetry), that a spiritual teacher or the
author's teacher is superior to the customary great gods. The cited verse is
written in similar vein. One should not, therefore, try to look for a
particular incarnation or (teaching) form of Vi.s.nu in it. It personifies
mada and moha as Madhu and Kai†abha. A similar ruupaka exists in the
expression mok.sa-lak.smii. The intention behind using this expression is to
suggest that the spiritual guru-vi.s.nu excels the deity Vi.s.nu who bestows
only a lak.smii that binds one to the world. One should not understand the
expression as suggesting that there is some actual mythic tradition of
mok.sa-lak.smii.

ashok aklujkar