Yavadviipa

Christian K. Wedemeyer wedemeyer at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue May 23 20:27:24 UTC 2006

Dear John,

Sorry about the delayed response: very busy this month!

In D.S. Ruegg's article "Deux Problèmes d'Exégèse
et de Pratique Tantriques selon
DiipaMkarazriijñaana et le PaiNDapaatika de
Yavadviipa/SuvarNadviipa" (Mélanges Chinois et
Bouddhiques, 1981, p. 217), he comments briefly
on this toponym.  He says, in essence, that
Yavadviipa is doubtlessly ("sans doute") Java and
SuvarNadviipa is generally taken to refer to
Sumatra or perhaps also the Malaysian Peninsula
("nom q'on interprète généralement comme
désignant Sumatra, et peut-être aussi la
Péninsule Malaise").

The note in reference to this passage points one in this direction:

"Sur l'identification de Yavadviipa et de
SuvarNadviipa voir G. Coedès, Les états
hindouisés d'Indochine et d'Indonésie (Paris,
1964), p. 104  et suiv., 158 n. 2, 160 n. 3, 175.

Hope that helps some and I hope all is well with you.

Yours,

Christian

P.S. In the passages of Atiza's work that Ruegg
cites (also, presumably, from the 11th century),
he uses Yavadviipa and SuvarNadviipa
interchangeably (see Ruegg, op. cit., pp. 214-216)

--
Christian K. Wedemeyer
Assistant Professor of the History of Religions