Form of Visnu as guru

Dean Anderson eastwestcultural at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 22 10:28:46 UTC 2006

Dattatreya is considered an incarnation of Vishnu as the guru. His teachings are found in the Avadhuta Gita.

  Dattatreya is also considered the founder of some of the more important groups of Swamis in the Dashnami tradition. An American became a swami in that order some decades ago, you might try emailing him for the modern understanding of Dattatreya as it relates to their order: BABA at rampuri.com

  Of course, the most famous teaching of Vishnu is the Bhagavad Gita. Although most of the Vishnu incarnations also have teaching in the various Puranas. You might try the Puranic Encyclopedia for references.

  It's a huge area. I hope this gives you a place to start.

  Best,

  Dean

  Dr. Dean Anderson
  East West Cultural Institute

  ---
    On 5/22/06, Jenni Cover <jenni.cover at urnet.com.au> wrote:   Greetings,

Daksinamurti is the form of Siva as guru. Can anyone please enlighten me
about a form (murti) of Visnu as guru? Is there a particular sampradaya that
worships Visnu in this form? Are there any good books/papers/web-sites etc.
on this subject?

Thankyou,
Jenni Cover
PhD Student