Vedic Accents and Unicode

Paul G. Hackett ph2046 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Mar 22 19:28:10 UTC 2006

Greetings,

At 7:23 AM -0800 3/22/06, Dean Anderson wrote:
>I and a few others on this list have been agitating to get Vedic
>Accents added to the Unicode standard.

I know that at one time there was an Indic list-serve for Unicode
concerns (http://www.unicode.org/~emuller/iwg/) but it's current
status is unclear.

On a related note, however, I have been encoding some Sanskrit text
in unicode and have been unable to locate the equivalent of a
headline ellipsis in the Devanagari range (0900-097F) or under
"General Punctuation" (2000-206F).  Can someone tell me if this has
been encoded in a non-obvious manner or as a variant form of another
glyph?  Otherwise, this would appear to be another candidate for
addition to the standard.

Paul Hackett
Dept. of Religion
Columbia University