an interesting Mahabharata ms

John Brockington J.L.Brockington at ED.AC.UK
Tue Mar 14 15:10:23 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I wonder whether most of you know that Edinburgh University Library
possesses an unusual and interesting scroll manuscript of the
Mahabharata with a considerable number of fine miniatures.  Three of
those miniatures have featured on covers of books that you may have come
across:  (in chronologic order of publication), my own The Sacred Thread
(2nd edn), Richard King's Indian Philosophy and Will Johnson's
translation of the Sauptikaparvan.  However, the library has now mounted
some more, along with some background information on the manuscript
(partly drawn from my own notes on the manuscript), on its web site as
its "Book of the Month" for March.  It can be accessed at
<http://www.lib.ed.ac.uk/resources/collections/specdivision/botm.shtml>
and I do recommend a look.

Yours

John Brockington

Professor J. L. Brockington
Secretary General, International Association of Sanskrit Studies
Asian Studies
7-8 Buccleuch Place
Edinburgh EH8 9LW