SV: Crushing Defeat of Hindutva attempts to saffronize Californian textbooks

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at CHELLO.NO
Fri Mar 10 16:58:12 UTC 2006

Jan,

This is an interesting question. Wouldn't the answer depend upon whether you
refer to "Hinduism" as a collective term for Indian religions, or to
Vaishnavism, Shaivism etc. separately? And as for Buddhism, although the
religion in principle is atheistic, there is plenty of room for gods at
various levels of the universe. Vedic religion was to my mind certainly
polytheistic, so there would seem to be little scope for assuming that India
was "always" monotheistic, if that is what our Hindutva friends are
claiming.

Whether Christianity is monotheistic or polytheistic would to me seem a
matter of definition. The arguments concerning the trinity are as far as I
can see rather murky, but then an elementary particle can be both a wave and
a particle, so maybe it is just a quirk of language.

Part of the problem with the Hindutvavadis is that they project modern
understanding and interpretation into the hoary past. But so do our own
theologians and quite a few other academics, as far as I can see. The
difference between "us" and "them" may not always be as great as we think.

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at chello.no
http://www.linguistfinder.com/translators.asp?id=2164