Indian Syllogism

Plamen Gradinarov plamen at ORIENTALIA.ORG
Thu Mar 9 21:24:31 UTC 2006

> If something like modus tollens could be observed in their thinking, we have a straight forward
> deductive system at play.

Anvaya-vyatireki is a clear case of modus tollens.

If there is smoke on the hill, then there is fire on the hill.
There is no fire on the hill.
Therefore, there is no smoke on the hill.

The absence of probandum (sAdhyAbhAva) here is contrapositively regarded as the vyApya (pervaded), while the absence of probans (sAdhanAtyaya) is correctly intuited in the third instance of parAmarZa as the vyApaka (pervading).

Best regards,
Plamen