na bhuuto na bhaviSyati

Richard MAHONEY r.mahoney at ICONZ.CO.NZ
Thu Jun 29 19:32:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 07:01, adheesh sathaye wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am trying to track down the history of this proverbial phrase/
> cliche ("na bhuuto na bhaviSyati"), which seems to be fairly common
> in epic and puranic literature. As in: "harizcandra-samo raajaa na
> bhuuto na bhaviSyati" (MarkP 8.278cd, DBhP 7.18.52ab). Is this phrase
> attested in Vedic literature at all? smrtis? If anyone has any
> remarks or words of advice, or perhaps even references, I'd be very
> much obliged!

For the occurrence of the phrase in the Mahabharata please see the
search results of the Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) version at:

 <http://tinyurl.com/nuvh4>

(Please keep in mind that the TEI version has just been loaded and is
the first revision. I am especially grateful to those who have enabled
things to progress so far, but this particular version remains
`work-in-progress'. Suggestions, comments or corrections gratefully
received.)

Best regards,

 Richard

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | e-mail: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org