orphan/orphanage

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Tue Jul 25 15:01:02 UTC 2006

Thus we have the constant reference to "widows and orphans" in the Old Testament, and for that matter in modern West (e.g. "widow and orphan stocks," meaning very safe ones).

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.

On 7/25/06 6:46 AM, "Donald R. Davis, Jr." <drdavis at WISC.EDU> wrote:

> anaathan is the most common modern Malayalam word for orphan.

Such is the situation, without the final "n," in several other modern Indian
languages as well. In practical life, "anaatha" must always have had the
greatest potential to be applicable to widows and parentless children. The
contraction of its original wider or literal meaning to these two groups in
society is, therefore, understandable.

ashok aklujkar