orphan/orphanage

Donald R. Davis, Jr. drdavis at WISC.EDU
Tue Jul 25 13:46:34 UTC 2006

The word anaatha occurs in a dvandva with daridra at Brhaspatismrti
17.11 (cited in Smrticandrikaa, also in DhK Vol. 1 Pt 2) in a sense that
probably includes orphans but is not limited to them (as you suspected
originally).  Ashok's comments about the nature of the joint family and
adoption, at least as presented in dharma texts, make perfect sense to
me and obviate the need for a distinctive term to represent the sense of
orphan as a child in need of charitable protection.  It is interesting,
however, that anaathan is the most common modern Malayalam word for orphan.

Best,

Don Davis
Dept of Languages & Cultures of Asia
University of Wisconsin-Madison