orphan/orphanage

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Tue Jul 25 01:24:44 UTC 2006

anaatha can refer to anyone lacking a protector, caretaker etc.; it is
clearly wider in meaning than "orphan" and occurs with that wider meaning in
appeals to gods and goddesses.

If a society has extended/joint family system, adoptive relationships (the
bhaa.ii-bahan way of relating to other community members) taken seriously
and, on the whole, little mobility (geographically as well as in terms of
social arrangement), would it really need a type-casting or set-denoting
term for someone who is oprhaned? Occasionally it may need to speak of a
person as maat.r-pit.r-vihiina (/virahita), but it is unlikely to feel the
need to speak of his/her condition in a generalizing or institutionalizing
way.

ashok aklujkar